Midland Drug Trafficking Lawyer
Defending Against Drug Trafficking Charges in Texas
In Texas, drug trafficking charges are a serious legal matter that can have life-altering consequences. At Wolf, Stallings & Mayo, Midland drug trafficking attorneys are here to help you understand your rights, build a strong defense, and navigate the complexities of the legal system. When you or your loved ones are confronted with drug trafficking allegations, it's crucial to contact our team as soon as possible.
Call Wolf, Stallings & Mayo today at (432) 237-3530 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our drug trafficking attorney in Midland.
What is Drug Trafficking?
Drug trafficking involves the illegal distribution, sale, or transportation of controlled substances such as cocaine, heroin, marijuana, methamphetamine, and other prohibited drugs. It is a crime taken seriously in the state of Texas and carries severe penalties. Convictions for drug trafficking can result in lengthy prison sentences and substantial fines. The charges can be even more severe if certain aggravating factors are present, such as the involvement of minors, the use of firearms, or the transportation of drugs across state lines.
The State of Texas has exact laws governing drug trafficking, and these laws are consistently enforced. It is important to remember that even a small amount of a controlled substance, under the right circumstances, can lead to serious trafficking charges.
What are the Penalties for Drug Trafficking in Texas?
The punishments for drug trafficking in Texas are severe and vary depending on the type and quantity of the controlled substance involved. The state classifies these substances into penalty groups, and the penalties escalate with each group. Penalties for drug trafficking can include:
- Prison Time: Convictions for drug trafficking can result in significant prison sentences, ranging from several years to life in prison, depending on the specifics of the case.
- Fines: In addition to incarceration, individuals convicted of drug trafficking may face substantial fines, which can add a heavy financial burden.
- Asset Forfeiture: Law enforcement agencies can seize property and assets believed to be connected to drug trafficking, even before a conviction is secured.
- Parole and Probation: Individuals convicted of drug trafficking may be subject to parole or probation, with stringent conditions and regular monitoring.
- Loss of Civil Rights: A drug trafficking conviction can result in the loss of certain civil rights, including the right to vote and own firearms.
- Permanent Criminal Record: A drug trafficking conviction can have long-lasting consequences, impacting employment, housing, and personal relationships.
Defenses Against Drug Trafficking Charges
While every case is unique, there are several common defenses that may be available, including:
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If law enforcement violated your Fourth Amendment rights by conducting an illegal search and seizure, evidence obtained during that search may be deemed inadmissible in court.
- Lack of Knowledge or Intent: In some cases, it may be possible to argue that you were not mindful of the presence of illegal drugs or that you did not have the intent to distribute or traffic them.
- Chain of Custody Issues: The prosecution must establish a secure chain of custody for any evidence introduced in court. Discrepancies or doubts in this chain can be used as a defense.
- Entrapment: If law enforcement engaged in entrapment, coercing or inducing you to commit a crime you would not have otherwise committed, it may serve as a valid defense.
- Witness Credibility: Challenging the credibility of witnesses and informants can weaken the prosecution's case.
- Procedural Violations: If the police or prosecution failed to follow proper procedures during your arrest or trial, it can be grounds for dismissal or reduction of charges.
If you need a good criminal attorney I would definitely look into hiring Wolf, Stallings & Mayo.
John and Andrew's hard work spared us the trauma, time, humiliations and yes, money, that a trial would have brought. They are still doing some work on expungement for me on my case, and there is absolutely nobody I would trust more.- Kristy M.
I'm glad I chose them to help me with my case!
Andrew van der Hoeven is such an awesome attorney! He helped me get my brother-in-law's case done in less than a month. He is an awesome person, he is patient with you, he works with you, and he explains what's going on.- Gelasia M.
I recommend this firm to anyone, regardless how big or small your case is.
Nothing serious, just a traffic ticket but as a CDL holder it was worth it to fight the ticket. Tyler Mayo did an exceptional job and I was found Not Guilty!- Rodney S.
The consequences of a conviction can be devastating, but our dedicated legal team at Wolf, Stallings & Mayo is here to help. Our Midland drug trafficking lawyer is committed to providing aggressive and effective legal representation and will work diligently to ensure your rights are protected. Your future is important, and we are here to fight for it.
Contact Wolf, Stallings & Mayo today to get started with our Midland drug trafficking lawyer.
Same Day Appointments
Spanish Speaking Services Available